Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gov. Daniels Won't Run for President

Citing family concerns, Governor Mitch Daniels has opted out of the 2012 presidential race, a race in which many thought he had a good shot at the Republican nomination. In a statement released to the press last night, the Governor said, "On matters affecting us all, our family constitution gives a veto to the women’s caucus, and there is no override provision. Simply put, I find myself caught between two duties. I love my country; I love my family more." An email sent to his supporters early this morning echoed that theme and introduced a note of regret: "The interests and wishes of my family, is the most important consideration of all. If I have disappointed you, I will always be sorry." Here is Indy Star coverage of the his public statement and here is its coverage of the email to supporters.