Thursday, October 25, 2012

Something God Intended to Happen

"Even when life beings in that horrible situation of rape, that is something God intended to happen."

Richard Mourdock's appalling statement has set off a firestorm of controversy, including a call for him to apologize from Mike Pence. Here's a summary of responses from the Wall Street Journal.

Perhaps the most disingenuous is a statement issued by National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn of Texas:
“Richard and I, along with millions of Americans – including even Joe Donnelly – believe that life is a gift from God. To try and construe his words as anything other than a restatement of that belief is irresponsible and ridiculous.”
It is a gross distortion to tie Joe Donnelly to Mourdock's position by asserting that Mourdock's statement was nothing more than a bland observation on the holiness of life. Whether the "that" in Mourdock's statement refers to the pregnancy or the rape that produced it, Mourdock attributes the causal chain to the intention of God; God couldn't have intended the result without intending the cause.

In attempting to control the damage, Mourdock actually doubled down on his position: "I spoke from my heart. And speaking from my heart, speaking from the deepest level of my faith, I would not apologize. I would be less than faithful if I said anything other than life is precious, I believe it's a gift from God." Obviously, he was saying more than life is precious.

If you think there is a context problem here, watch the video of of Mourdock's entire response to the question.